School Direct offers a unique training route to achieving a PGCE and/or Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and aims to attract the highest-quality candidates.
In order to train via the School Direct programme, you must have:
- A British Bachelors Honours degree or recognised equivalent qualification (2nd Class or higher)
- A GCSE grade C/4 or above in English language and mathematics
- A GCSE grade C/4 or above in a science
- Successful completion of both the literacy and numeracy professional skills tests
- Successful safeguarding checks including an Enhanced DBS check
- A successful 'Fit to Teach' health assessment
If you studied outside of the UK, you should contact the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website to obtain written confirmation that your qualifications are of an equivalent level to the required UK GCSEs and undergraduate degree.
If you have previously withdrawn from, or failed, another teacher training course leading to Qualified Teacher Status, please contact Helen Byrom, Head of Training, to discuss your eligibility on 01280 823374 (option 7).
Before starting the course, we also recommend that you gain a small amount of work experience within a primary school in order to enable you to gain first hand experience of a classroom environment and a small insight into the role of a teacher. It will provide an opportunity for you to ensure that this is the correct career path for you and, if completed before applying, will also provide valuable experience that will help to strengthen your application and performance at interview. However, this work experience is not a requirement and applications will still be considered from applicants without such experience.